About Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
In Iowa, 22% of working families do not earn enough to meet basic needs.
You can help struggling families increase their financial stability, and help return federal dollars to our local economy. VITA volunteers help low- and moderate-income families file free tax returns, maximizing the benefits to our clients and to our community.
Be a part of a program that directly effects families in your community. United Way is offering solutions that move people toward financial independence and a better quality of life. VITA clients received an average refund of $1,033 last year. Tax payers reported they would use the funds to pay off existing debt, buy household necessities, and increase savings.
All volunteer roles require some training. Training and certification are free and can be completed from home and at your own pace.
Schedulers and greeters-
· Online Standards of Conduct training.
· Requires 2 hours or less
Tax Preparers and Quality Reviewers-
· IRS tax law training at the advanced level
· Requires 20-40 hours depending on tax law experience.
· Schedule appointments with taxpayers
· Use a checklist to confirm clients qualify
· Make reminder calls for VITA appointments
· Welcome taxpayers
· Complete a checklist to confirm the taxpayer has the needed documentation
· Gather taxpayer information and review documents
· Prepare tax returns using TaxWise software
· Discuss the tax return with taxpayer following review process
· Check completed tax returns for accuracy using an IRS checklist
· Advise tax preparers of changes to be made
For more information about becoming a VITA volunteer, contact Wendy Davis, VITA Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 641-682-1264.