UNITED WAY OF WAPELLO COUNTY
Position Title: Executive Director & Chief Executive Officer
Class: Full Time/Salaried
Reports To: Executive Board of Directors, UWWC
United Way of Wapello county (UWWC) is a leadership organization that works towards creating positive, lasting change in the community to create a better life for all. To accomplish this, the organization convenes and unites the community in three critical community impact areas: education, income and health. By collaborating with a broad base of community partners and funded agencies, United Way invests in research and evidence-based strategies to achieve Key Objective Goals.
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for all administrative, fundraising, fund distribution, operations, and donor and community relations of the organization. The Executive Director is also responsible for developing key external and internal collaborations, partnerships and relationships which include the Board of Directors, community partners, leaders and staff. The Executive Director will manage full-time and part-time staff as well as multiple volunteers with various responsibilities as aligned with the UWWC strategic plan.
· Leadership: Exercise strong leadership for organization, effectively communicating the vision, philosophy and strategic goals to staff, volunteers and community at-large.
· Strategic Focus and Execution: Ensures that the strategy is well defined and executed to meet annual goals and to advance goals into the future.
· External Relations: Proactively and professionally represents UWWC in both the for-profit and non-profit community and develops relationships where strategic alignment and common goals exist.
· Board Development and Relations: Ensures Board of Directors are engaged and informed of all important aspects of the organization in a transparent and accountable manner.
· Media Relations: Executive Director is primary spokesperson for the organization and works closely with public relations staff to build long-term relationships with key reporters and other media entities.
· Revenue Growth and Diversification: Drives the development of year-round planning strategies and relationships for the annual workplace campaign and revenue diversification efforts. Ensures ongoing engagement of key corporate and community leaders. Maintains strong organizational respect and integrity as a leading non-profit in the Ottumwa area.
· People and Staff Management: Ensures top talent (volunteers and staff) in all key positions and identifies successors for senior level staff across the organization to ensure continued execution of goals. Coach, mentor and advise staff and volunteers. Addresses performance issues and develops staff for advancement.
· Financial Performance: Effectively oversees the organization’s financial performance. Works with Finance committee to establish annual budget and maintain expected financial ratios relative to overhead and organizational capacity.
· Controls: Ensures the organization has strong, effective auditing and financial controls in place. Fosters a culture of ethical behavior through effective compliance with legal obligations.
· Performs other duties and responsibilities as requested by the Board.
· College degree with major in business, management (particularly non-profit management) or marketing. Master’s Degree encouraged.
· Minimum of 3years working in non-profit leadership position, 5 years preferred. (United Way experience a plus), and interacting regularly with volunteers and a Board; alternatively, extensive experience in the leadership and management of organization of comparable size and mission.
Additional Preferred Competencies:
· Experience in establishing long-term objectives and strategies of an organization;
· Demonstrated strategic execution of long term vision and goals;
· Analytical skills that can translate raw and/or complex data into meaningful conclusions;
· Experience in developing community partnerships across sectors;
· Strong leadership experience;
· Track record of building revenue and increasing philanthropic support;
· Strong communication skills that include both written and verbal skills. Ability to effectively present information to diverse audiences. Willingness to interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds and groups to build consensus for agreement or solution;
· Ability to be a change champion to initiate and lead through a changing environment or situation;
This is a full-time salaried position. Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with education and experience.
United Way of Wapello County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send letters of application and resumes to:
Orsborn, Milani, Mitchell & Goedken, L.L.P.
PO Box 878
Ottumwa, IA 52501
Deadline for application is August 26, 2017
UNITED WAY OF WAPELLO COUNTY
Community/Neighborhood Garden Coordinator
Non-Exempt (part time-15 hours per week)
The Community Garden Coordinator organizes and facilitates all activities in the garden(s) and serves as the lead contact for the garden(s).
Work Schedule: This is a regular part-time (15 hours per week average, not to exceed 780 hours annually) position with a flexible schedule. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
· Oversee UWWC community garden operations
· Help to recruit volunteers In collaboration with the UWWC Volunteer Center staff
· Schedule and supervise volunteers for garden operations
· Maintain a calendar for garden activities and garden events
· Establish a plan for year-long garden production and maintenance
· Outline the necessary tasks for garden production and maintenance
· Plan and facilitate workdays
· Collect monitoring and evaluation data
· Operate within the annual program budget
Food Pantry Garden
· Facilitate orientations, work projects, and general gardening meetings
· Coordinate delivery of produce to food pantries
· UWWC Managed Garden(s)
o Oversee all aspects of managing the program
o Organize and coordinate plot assignments
o Regulate compliance to renter’s agreement
· UWWC Gardens not managed by UWWC
o Advise potential garden organizations in initiating and running their own neighborhood gardens
This position requires previous organic gardening, volunteer coordination, and project coordination experience.
· Prefer some horticultural background and/or training.
· Familiarity with local resources (gardening, community and other environmental)
· Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
· Ability to work within a budget
· Valid Iowa driver’s license, reliable transportation, and proof of insurance
· Must undergo a national criminal history check *REQUIRED*
· Ability to work with limited supervision and a willingness to work some evening and weekend hours
· Highly organized with the ability to juggle multiple issues, deadlines and project responsibilities
· Ability and desire to work collaboratively with diverse groups of people
Embodies Organizational Values
External Factors and Physical Requirements
Work is performed indoors and outdoors with regular local travel in the Wapello County area.
Physical and Mental Demands:
The physical and mental demands of this position are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job functions. While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, or controls, and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The incumbent must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The United Way of Wapello County reserves the right to review each requested accommodation and determine if such poses an undue hardship.
The description given is intended only to provide information about the general nature of the job and is not an all-inclusive list of the job duties, skills or abilities which may change from time-to-time.
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to 224 E. 2nd Street Suite 1 Ottumwa, Iowa 52501.