Have your federal and state tax returns filed FREE of charge. VITA is a free income tax assistance program. IRS-certified volunteers prepare and e-File federal and state tax returns. Volunteers are trained to ensure you receive all of the credits available to you.

Schedule a free tax preparation appointment

If your household earned $54,000 or less in 2020 you may be eligible for free tax preparation. We begin scheduling appointments in January of each year. 


How can I help?

United Way of Wapello County always needs volunteers for the VITA program. For more information about volunteering with VITA visit our volunteer information page.


What do I bring to my appointment?

  • Picture ID, for you and your spouse, if filing jointly
  • Both spouses must be present to sign required forms if filing jointly
  • Social Security card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for you, your spouse and all dependents
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and all dependents
  • Bank routing and account numbers for Direct Deposit (If you are due a refund your refund can be put directly into your bank account)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns
  • Wage and earnings statements: W-2, W-2G, 1098, 1099-R from all employers
  • Unemployment compensation statement if applicable: Form 1099-G
  • Interest statements from banks and dividend statements from stock
  • Miscellaneous income statements
  • Records of expenses such as mortgage interest, charitable donations, unreimbursed medical expenses, self-employment expenses, etc.
  • Amounts paid for daycare that allowed you or your spouse to work or look for work
  • Any other information about income and expenses


Tax Credits

Some people benefit from tax credits. Here are some examples of tax credits that can really make a difference on your return:


Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)


American Opportunity Tax Credit


Lifetime Learning Credit


Child and Dependent Care Credit


Retirement Savings Contributions Credit


Frequently asked questions

Do I need an appointment?

We suggest you make an appointment. You can walk into our site, but we cannot guarantee we will have a volunteer available. No show appointments will not be rescheduled. If for some reason you are not able to make it to your appointment, please call at least 24 hours in advance and reschedule.


Do I qualify for free tax preparation through VITA? 

If you made $54,000 or less in the prior year you may qualify. Upon calling for an appointment additional information will be needed to determine if you qualify.


Do I need to file?

If you or your spouse is at least 25 years of age you should file (even if your income is very low) because you may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). EITC is a tax credit for certain people who work and have low wages. A tax credit usually means more money in your pocket. If you had taxes withheld from your income, you may want to file even if you are not required to do so. 


What documents do I need to prove my health insurance?

Beginning in 2019, you are no longer required to prove health insurance on your tax return and there are no penalties for not having coverage.


However, if you are filing a return for years 2015 - 2018 you will need to have any documents received showing your health coverage and they should be brought to your tax appointment. 1095-A and 1095-B will be the most popular documents showing health coverage. For years 2015 - 2018, taxpayers should keep insurance cards, explanation of benefits statements from their insurer, W-2 or payroll statements reflecting health insurance deductions, and other statements indicating that they or a family member had and maintained health care coverage. Click here for more information.


How fast will I get my refund?

You can generally expect the IRS to issue your refund in less than 21 calendar days after your tax return has been received. Direct deposit is quick, easy, secure and the best way to receive your refund. Get up to date refund information using Where's My Refund?


Should I wait to file if I know I will owe money?

No, you can file now and pay as late as April 15th. To avoid late filing fees, you should file even if you are going to be unable to pay your taxes.


Is help available with prior year or amended tax returns?

Yes, just make sure to schedule an appointment and let us know what you have.